Sunday, September 1, 2013

Lincoln Assassination | Melanie Walde

Above Info graphic about the assassination of US President Abraham Lincoln in 1865, by Melanie Walde, a graphic design student at the University of Northern Iowa. Copyright © by Melanie Walde 2013.

••

Joseph Epstein in A Line Out for a Walk. New York: W.W. Norton, 1991—

When I began teaching I worried gravely about being able to fill a fifty-minute class; now, a decade or so later, I have been known to run over when teaching a two-and-a-half-hour class. Whence did this extra steam and stamina derive? From my own ever-expanding wisdom and ever-increasing powers of intellectual penetration? How nice to be able to think so, which I for a moment don't. More likely a leak has been sprung in my modesty. In what kind of work other than teaching can one rattle on at such prodigious length without fear of being told, mate, stow it? Some of the most interesting people I know are professors, but so also are some of the most profound bores.