Monday, September 2, 2013

Promotional Poster | Elizabeth Philipp

Promotional poster (2013) © Elizabeth Philipp
Above Proposed promotional poster for the College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences (CHAS) at the University of Northern Iowa, by graphic design student Elizabeth Philipp (2013).

••

Eudora Welty in (her autobiography) One Writer's Beginnings. Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press, 1984, p. 10—

At around age six, perhaps, I was standing by myself in our front yard waiting for supper, just at that hour in a late summer day when the sun is already below the horizon and the risen full moon in the visible sky stops being chalky and begins to take on light. There comes the moment, and I saw it then, when the moon goes from flat to round. For the first time it met my eyes as a globe. The word "moon" came into my mouth as though fed to me out of a silver spoon. Held in my mouth the moon became a word. It had the roundness of a Concord grape Grandpa took off his vine and gave me to suck out of its skin and swallow whole, in Ohio.